Monday, August 17, 2026

Top 5 This Week

Related Posts

Canada’s Bianca Andreescu bounced from NBO after Kayla Cross secures first WTA win

**TORONTO** — Canadian tennis player Bianca Andreescu suffered another early exit at the National Bank Open on Monday, falling 7-5, 6-4 to Czechia’s Nikola Bartunkova in the first round of the women’s singles draw at Sobeys Stadium.

Andreescu, a Mississauga, Ont., native and a wild-card entry, built a 5-2 lead in the first set and held three chances on serve, as well as a set-point opportunity while leading 5-4. However, the 42nd-ranked Bartunkova battled back both times and ultimately secured the victory in windy conditions on the York University campus.

“I wish I had the answers. I was trying to dissect it,” said Andreescu, who entered the tournament ranked No. 174 in the world. “It’s tough. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s not, but I feel like I’m letting my team down, my family down sometimes, the supporters.”

Andreescu, who won the U.S. Open and the National Bank Open in 2019, also lost in the first round in Toronto in 2024 and withdrew from last year’s Montreal tournament due to injury following an opening-round win.

While Andreescu bowed out, fellow Canadian Kayla Cross earned her first career WTA victory on Monday, upsetting Britain’s Katie Boulter 7-6 (3), 7-5.

Playing in just her third tour match as a wild card, the 21-year-old from London, Ont., fought off four set points in the first set and broke the 69th-ranked Boulter at 5-5 in the second before serving out the match.

“Definitely in shock,” said Cross, who is ranked No. 172. “Still doesn’t really feel real.”

Cross will face No. 28 seed Ann Li of the United States in the second round. She is also scheduled to play doubles with Andreescu in Toronto.

Other Canadian results on the tournament’s opening days included:
* McCartney Kessler of the U.S. defeated Cadence Brace of Oakville, Ont., 6-3, 6-3.
* Magda Linette of Poland defeated Carol Zhao of Richmond Hill, Ont., 4-6, 6-1, 6-4. Zhao, playing in her 15th tournament appearance, has stated she plans to retire after this season.
* Zeynep Sonmez of Turkey defeated Rebecca Marino of Vancouver 7-5, 6-4.
* Katherine Sebov of Toronto defeated Aoi Ito of Japan 6-3, 6-4 on Sunday and will face No. 10 seed Marta Kostyuk of Ukraine on Tuesday.

Leylah Fernandez of Laval, Que., the 30th seed and the only seeded Canadian in the women’s draw, is set to open her tournament Wednesday against Mexico’s Renata Zarazua. Victoria Mboko of Burlington, Ont., who won last year’s NBO title, is absent from this year’s event due to a knee injury.

Article and image source: airdriecityview.com

Follow us on Instagram: @news.tringlobe
Follow WhatsApp channel: Tringlobe Media WhatsApp Channel
Join a WhatsApp group: Join Puerto Rico WhatsApp group

Follow our Whatsapp channel
Like and follow us on Facebook

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Popular Articles

Click to listen highlighted text!