Sunday, August 16, 2026

Top 5 This Week

Related Posts

PNM Says Queen’s Hall Cancelled Previously Approved Annual Convention

The People’s National Movement (PNM) says approval for the party to hold its 2026 annual convention at Queen’s Hall has been rescinded, prompting chairman Marvin Gonzales to accuse the authorities of engaging in “petty politics.”
Gonzales made the disclosure during a media conference following the PNM’s General Council meeting at Balisier House, Port of Spain.
According to Gonzales, the party had begun preparations for its annual convention, expected to be held in November, and had sought permission to use Queen’s Hall as the venue.
He said approval was initially granted but was subsequently withdrawn by Queen’s Hall management without the party being given a reason.
During questioning from reporters, Gonzales said his understanding was that approval had been received approximately one month earlier, while notification that the venue was no longer available came approximately two weeks ago.
The PNM chairman also disclosed that the party had received approval to use the Queen’s Hall compound for its annual Carnival fundraiser next year, but said that approval was also later rescinded.
Gonzales said the party subsequently explored the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA) and Southern Academy for the Performing Arts (SAPA) as alternative venues, but was informed that those facilities would not be available for the party’s activities.
He strongly criticised the developments, describing them as part of what he believes is a wider climate of political retaliation.
Gonzales characterised the situation as “politics of revenge” and “politics of retribution,” alleging that the treatment of the PNM represented petty politics.
However, Gonzales did not present evidence during the media conference establishing that the Government directed Queen’s Hall management to withdraw the approvals.
Despite the setback, the PNM says preparations for its annual convention are continuing.
Gonzales said party groups across all 41 constituencies are conducting annual general meetings and elections as the organisation prepares for its November convention.
The party is also proceeding with its September Affair fundraiser, scheduled for September 26 at the Hyatt Regency. Gonzales said the PNM had received no notification that the venue for that event was no longer available.
The PNM is also preparing to host the second edition of its “Forged from the Love of Liberty” Independence event at Port of Spain City Hall on August 30, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
For now, the party says it intends to move forward with its activities while seeking alternative arrangements for its annual convention following the withdrawal of the Queen’s Hall approval.

Follow us on Instagram: @news.tringlobe
Follow WhatsApp channel: Tringlobe Media WhatsApp Channel
Join a WhatsApp group: Join Trinidad WhatsApp group

Follow our Whatsapp channel
Like and follow us on Facebook

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Popular Articles

Click to listen highlighted text!