Two people were killed and eight others were critically injured on Saturday afternoon after a shooting on the campus of Brown University, Rhode Island (USA), prompting a large police response and a continuing shelter-in-place order as authorities searched for the suspect.
The shooting occurred shortly after 4:00 p.m. local time inside the Barus & Holley Engineering Building, an academic facility that contains classrooms, laboratories, and offices. The incident took place during the university’s fall examination period, a time when the campus was still active with students and staff.
Providence Mayor Brett Smiley, speaking during an evening briefing, confirmed the deaths and said the injured victims were being treated at area hospitals. He described their conditions as critical but stable, adding that officials were continuing to assess the situation and that casualty figures could change as more information becomes available.
Police said the suspected gunman was described as a male dressed entirely in black who fled the building on foot. No arrests had been made as of early Saturday evening. University officials initially issued an alert stating that a suspect had been taken into custody, but that message was later corrected. Law enforcement authorities confirmed that the suspect remains at large.
As officers conducted building-by-building searches across campus and in nearby neighborhoods, residents and members of the Brown community were instructed to remain indoors and avoid the area. The shelter-in-place advisory remained in effect hours after the shooting as investigators worked to secure the scene and locate the suspect.
The response involved a wide range of agencies, including Providence Police, state law enforcement, and federal authorities. The Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were among the agencies assisting with the investigation, officials said.
President Donald Trump said he had been briefed on the shooting and confirmed that federal agents were on the ground. In a statement posted on his Truth Social account, Trump expressed sympathy for those affected, writing that his thoughts were with the victims and their families.
University officials said additional updates would be shared as soon as verified information became available. Classes and campus activities were effectively suspended while authorities continued their investigation.
Follow us on Instagram: @news.tringlobe
The Jamaica Observer has introduced 'Treasure This,' a new initiative for comprehensive news coverage.
Social Network X has suspended millions of accounts for violating its ethical guidelines as part…
Bahamian athlete Denzel Daxon has signed a contract with the Toronto Argonauts, a professional Canadian…
The Kingston and St. Andrew Municipal Corporation (KSAMC) has conducted cleanup activities on Heywood Street…
St. George’s Market in Grenada has announced operational updates for vendors and customers, emphasizing safety…
The Bahamas is featured in various news reports covering local events, international relations, and more.…