**FREDERICTON** — A voter sign-up incentive scheme used by New Brunswick Progressive Conservative leadership candidate Don Monahan does not violate party rules, according to a party finding and Elections New Brunswick.
The decision has drawn criticism from rival candidate Daniel Allain, who called the ruling “stunned” and vowed to change the rules if he is elected leader.
The Progressive Conservative Party of New Brunswick has not responded to requests from Brunswick News to confirm its decision.
The controversy stems from an incentive offered by Monahan, a Tory MLA, to patrons at the Sussex Fundy Fest musical festival held at the Sussex Drive-in and campground, which Monahan owns. A pop-up kiosk offered festival-goers $50 in drink tokens and a $35 carload pass for the drive-in if they paid a $50 fee to register as a party member and vote in the leadership race.
Earlier this week, Allain’s campaign filed a formal complaint calling for an audit and investigation into every membership and elector registration signed up by Monahan’s campaign. Allain alleged the arrangement violated election and leadership rules.
“Regardless of how it is dressed up, this scheme appears designed to buy people’s votes and move money that donors gave to his campaign directly into Mr. Monahan’s own business,” Allain said in a statement. “Back in December, my campaign asked PCNB a simple question: Can a campaign pay for someone’s registration? The answer was a clear no. We have played by that rule ever since.”
In an earlier interview with Brunswick News, Monahan defended the strategy as a “smear campaign” by his opponent, stating he ran the initiative by both the party and Elections New Brunswick in advance. He said the incentives are purchased using funds raised by his campaign.
Monahan also alleged that Allain engaged in similar voter sign-up activities. “He’s been around the entire province for the past 12 months, paying for breakfasts, paying for pizza parties, renting local bars, and paying for drinks and appetizers and all that stuff,” Monahan said.
Allain denied the comparison, stating his events were not transactional. “Nobody was told ‘sign here and get this in return,’” Allain said. “People got a couple of pancakes, a great speech, and a handshake. I had to earn their trust and, ultimately, their support.”
Chief Electoral Officer Kim Poffenroth explained why Elections New Brunswick found no violation.
“I directed staff to inquire into the issues raised in the complaint in relation to compliance with the Political Process Financing Act,” Poffenroth said in a statement. “We have been advised that the incentives are being purchased from the local campground by the leadership contestant’s campaign. Based on this information, I am of the opinion that there is no violation of the Political Process Financing Act that warrants further inquiries.”
Under a section of the Political Process Financing Act, convention registration fees of up to $85 are not classified as contributions. The total value of Monahan’s incentive offer matched that $85 threshold.
However, Allain’s formal complaint argued the scheme breached party leadership rules by utilizing cash-supporting contributions and bypassing regulations requiring elector registration to be completed online or by personal cheque rather than through third-party or corporate funds.
“A scheme that pays people to register corrupts the elector list itself and taints any result built upon it,” the complaint stated.
Allain is using the outcome of the complaint to rally supporters. “This situation is unacceptable,” he stated. “If you agree, please register as an endorsing elector the proper way today – and get ready to vote by mail in the coming weeks.”
The deadline to join the party to vote in the leadership race is August 14. A leadership convention is scheduled for October 17 in Fredericton to select the next leader of the New Brunswick Progressive Conservatives.
Article and image source: tj.news
Dry riverbed underscores Trinidad and Tobagos drought threat.
Penal Father Of Four Appeals For Help After Three-Year Struggle To Support His Family
Armed intruders steal TT$1 million in jewellery from Felicity home.
San Fernando Mayor Says Zero Goods And Services Funding Leaves Corporation Struggling With Repairs
$300M AI Megaproject Collapses After Norwegian Investor Walks Out Of Heated Public Consultation
TTPS Seeks More Vehicles As New Mobile Police Posts Prepare To Target Crime Hotspots